- Seeking an exceptional Housing Officer to join our team in Cairns
- Competitive remuneration with additional salary packaging benefits
- Make a meaningful difference to the lives of Australians in need
Mission Australia is a non-denominational Christian charity that has been helping vulnerable Australians move towards independence for more than 155 years.
Every day we support people nationwide by combatting homelessness, assisting disadvantaged families and children, addressing mental health issues, fighting substance dependencies and much more.
We're generously supported by our funders, partners and tens of thousands of everyday Australians, who make the work of our tireless volunteers and staff possible.
Mission Australia Housing (MAH)
Mission Australia Housing is an established and progressive, Tier One National Community Housing provider of social and affordable housing and also provides both tenancy and asset management services for a number of third party organisations and private investors.
We seek to offer a pathway away from homelessness by providing good-quality housing that enable people to participate in their communities.
In this pivotal position, you’ll be instrumental in delivering a wide range of tenancy and property management services to clients on low to moderate incomes and clients with complex needs.
Reporting to the Regional Leader and the Team Leader, you will be the leading force managing complex cases and tenants in the bid to make a difference in the lives of Australians in need.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- Lease vacant properties by conducting sign –ups for tenancies ensuring that all required paperwork and documentation are thoroughly and accurately completed
- Work with tenants to assist and support them in maintaining their tenancies
- Carry out property inspections of all properties periodically and as needed
- Attend court/tribunal hearings where necessary to represent the interest of the organisation
- Ensure tenancy and property records are kept up to date and information recorded meets the organisations and Regulatory standards
- Maintain positive relationships with external and internal stakeholders
- Actively contribute to developing and implementing strategies that connect tenants to additional support
Requirements for Success
- Demonstrated experience working with vulnerable client groups
- Understanding of the needs of people on low incomes and vulnerable people
- Experience with Microsoft Office products such as Word, Outlook & Excel
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to build trusting relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Current Drivers’ License and WWCC are essential
- Senior First Aid Certificate or willingness to gain one
- Excellent time management and priorotisation skills
- Ability to work autonomously and in a team
- Open and flexible to a fast paced and changing work load
As Mission Australia Housing is on an exciting journey of change, your community housing experience, organisational ability and exceptional interpersonal skills will see you succeed!
Culture & Benefits
A career with Mission Australia will offer you rewarding experiences, opportunities for advancement and the chance to make a difference to the lives of Australians in need. We have an innovative and friendly culture guided by our values of compassion, integrity, respect, perseverance and celebration.
To ensure our employees feel valued, supported and celebrated, we provide a range of employee benefits including:
- Salary packaging of $15,900 in tax-free pay per year (details via Advantage)
- Parental leave and the ability to purchase additional annual leave
- Generous discounts with hotels, travel insurance and major retailers
- Free, confidential counselling services via our EAP
- Discounted health care with Medibank Private
- Volunteering opportunities
- Flexible workplace practices
Diversity & Inclusion
Mission Australia is an inclusive employer. We celebrate our diversity and strive to reflect contemporary Australian society and all the communities in which we work, in order to better serve our clients. We welcome and encourage applications from Women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, Culturally and Linguistically Diverse people, People with Disability, Sexually and Gender Diverse people, people with lived experience of adversity and from people of all ages.
As such, if you require any adjustments to submit your application, we invite you to get in touch via email firstname.lastname@example.org
To be considered for this opportunity, please click ‘apply’ and send your cover letter and resume today.
For more information, feel free to view the Job Description via PD - Housing Officer.pdf.
For further information regarding working with us visit Working for Mission Australia.
As part of our Employment screening process you will also be required to undertake a National Criminal History Check and be eligible and be able to obtain and working with Children Qld Blue Card.
Applications close midnight, Sunday 8 September 2019.
Please be advised Mission Australia does not accept unsolicited resumes. Mission Australia will not recognise an entitlement to an introduction or placement fee unless the Agency has been briefed by a member of the Recruitment team on a specific position for which we have requested candidates. Note we are not considering additions to our list of Panel Suppliers.