About the role
We are currently seeking a qualified and experienced Catering Assistant to join the team at our Melbourne Immigration Transit Accommodation (MITA) site based at Broadmeadows, Vic. The successful candidate will report to the Catering Manager and will ensure the smooth and successful operation of the food service process, whilst complying with all food hygiene regulations. Good knife skills are essential as is the ability to perform general cleaning tasks. This role is physically demanding and you will be required to constantly lift and bend, push and pull stock. This role is a casual position working a rotating roster across the seven days including public holidays, covering the hours from 7am - 8pm for lunch and dinner service.
To be successful in this role you will have
- Minimum Certificate II in Kitchen Operations (SIT20312) or equivalent qualification
- SITXFSA001 Use Hygienic Practices for Food Safety OR SITXFSA101 - Use hygienic practices for food safety OR SITXOHS002A - Follow workplace hygiene procedures
- Demonstrated experience with basic kitchen processes and food preparation
- Sound understanding of HACCP principles
- Ability to assist the Catering Manager and Chefs in preparation of the daily menu
- Ensure all tasks are performed in a timely manner and comply with internal policy and legislative requirements
- First Aid Certificate is desirable
- Understanding of OHS legislation and management of hazards
This is a position of trust and responsibility and to support this we will conduct a thorough probity assessment, which includes a national police check as an essential selection component for this role.
We are trusted to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people in our care across Australia’s network of immigration centres. Our team provides fully integrated services across facilities management, accommodation, catering, welfare, engagement, security, transport, and escorting. We are committed to treating people in our care with dignity and respect in a safe and secure environment.
At Serco, you’ll be part of a team of more than 50,000 people delivering essential services on behalf of governments and organisations around the world. We apply world's best practice, insights and technology across six key sectors: Citizen Services, Defence, Health, Immigration, Justice and Transport. But no matter your role or where you’re based, we each share the same goal – to bring service to life to make a positive difference every day. To learn more please visit www.serco.com/aspac
If you are inspired to make a positive difference and would like to be considered for this opportunity, please submit your cover letter and resume by clicking the 'Apply Now' button.
Serco values of Trust, Care, Innovation and Pride underpin everything we do. We are curious, creative and collaborative. Our people help in ways that matter.
We are committed to diversity and we encourage people from different backgrounds including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, culturally and linguistically diverse and people with disabilities to apply.