Community Services Employee - Aod Residential Youth Worker - East Perth
Apply nowJob no:985844
Work type:Max Term (Full Time)
- Make a meaningful difference to the lives of Australians in need
- Located in East Perth – Drug and Alcohol Youth Service
- Residential Service supporting Young People aged 12-21
- Rotating Roster with paid penalty rates – 38 hours per week
- 3 Max Term contracts ranging from 10 months to 2 years
Mission Australia is a non-denominational Christian charity that has been helping vulnerable Australians move towards independence for more than 160 years.
Every day we support people nationwide by combatting homelessness, assisting disadvantaged families and children, addressing mental health issues, fighting substance dependencies and much more. We are generously supported by our funders, partners and tens of thousands of everyday Australians, who make the work of our tireless volunteers and staff possible.
Mission Australia is committed to keeping children and young people safe with zero tolerance of harm or abuse, and expect all our employees and volunteers to reflect this commitment.
Located in East Perth, The Drug and Alcohol Youth Service provides a safe and supported short term residential environment for young people aged 12 to 21, who wish to manage their withdrawal from alcohol and other drugs and take time out from environmental influences and pressures. The service provides a 24 hour, 7 days a week residential program through case management, counselling, recreation activities and education groups. The service is the only youth specific withdrawal unit in Western Australia, accommodating up to 8 young people in a residential setting for up to 21 days.
Your key responsibilities will to:
- Induct clients into the service
- Develop relationships young people adhering to boundaries of care practice
- Support client to progress towards achieving their goals
- Maintain standards of conduct for the service to contribute to the program success
- Updating case notes and using appropriate record keeping to ensure compliance in the program
- Monitor clients personal care and hygiene and provide guidance
- Collaborate with the team in the care and management of young people who exhibit challenging behaviour
- Facilitate educational groups and recreational activities
Requirements for Success
- Experience in the AOD, Youth and/or Mental Health
- Ideally a minimum of Cert 4 qualification in Community Services, Youth Work or a related field
- Passion for working with young people in rehabilitation of alcohol and other drugs
- Understanding of significant mental health issues in youth
- Strong knowledge of behaviour management and capacity to set boundaries and limits in a residential setting
- Understanding of trauma informed practice
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of team to provide positive outcomes
- Demonstrated professional approach to maintaining professional boundaries
Before starting work with us, you will need to undertake a national police history check, qualifications and referee checks, and have a clearance to work with children/vulnerable people.
Culture & Benefits
A career with Mission Australia will offer you rewarding experiences to make a difference to the lives of Australians in need. We have an innovative and supportive culture guided by our values of compassion, integrity, respect, perseverance and celebration.
To ensure our employees feel valued, empowered and celebrated we provide a range of employee benefits including:
- NFP salary packaging benefits reducing taxable income (details via Advantage)
- Penalty rates will be paid for afternoon, evening and weekend shifts
- Free, confidential counselling services via our EAP
- Discounted health care with Medibank Private
Diversity & Inclusion
Mission Australia is an inclusive employer. We celebrate our diversity and strive to reflect contemporary Australian society and all the communities in which we work, in order to better serve our clients. We welcome and encourage applications from Women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, Culturally and Linguistically Diverse people, People with Disability, Sexually and Gender Diverse people, people with lived experience of adversity and from people of all ages.
As such, if you require any adjustments to submit your application, we invite you to get in touch via email email@example.com.
To be considered for this opportunity, please click ‘apply’. For more information, feel free to click here to view the position description. For further information regarding working with us visit Working for Mission Australia.
Please send through your application as soon as possible as shortlisting will commence before the closing date. Applications close at 11:55 PM on Tuesday February 4th 2020.
Advertised: W. Australia Standard Time
Application close: W. Australia Standard Time
Please be advised Mission Australia does not accept unsolicited resumes. Mission Australia will not recognise an entitlement to an introduction or placement fee unless the Agency has been briefed by a member of the Recruitment team on a specific position for which we have requested candidates. Note we are not considering additions to our list of Panel Suppliers.
To view and apply for this job on the web visit: